The Newsletter of Arisia, Incorporated — Number 140, Oct 2005


Election Results

Thanks to the outgoing members of the Eboard, especially Carsten and Alex, for their service to Arisia,  both in the past and hopefully in the future.

Congratulations to the 2005-2006 Arisia officers:  President, Rick Kovalcik; Vice President, Lisa Hertel; Treasurer, Ben Levy; Clerk, Rachel Silber

Message from the Clerk

Please check the membership roster.  If your name is not there, I don't have a record of you paying corporate dues and this will be your last issue of Mentor. Please get in touch with if there is a mistake.  If you have not paid yet and wish to maintain continuous voting status in the corporation, please have your $24 dues to an eboard member by the beginning of the Oct 20th corporate meeting. Dues may be paid through PayPal at the address  As always, if these dues represent a financial hardship, please contact in confidence.

Minutes of the September Meeting

·         Date, Time, and Place

Sun Sept 18 2005 at MIT bldg 66.  Carsten called meeting to order at 2:35

·         In attendance

Lisa Hertel, Susan Mozzicato, Bridget Boyle, Alex Latzko, Karen Purcell, Jill Eastlake, Ben Levy, Tom Murphy, Jack Dietz, Noel Rosenberg, September Isdell (new member), Tom Coveney, Persis Thorndike, Rick Kovalcik, Skip Morris, Allan Kent, Zanne Labonville, Lisa Adler-Golden, Michael Leuchtenburg(new member), Carsten Turner, Rachel Silber

·         Proxies

Joel Herda to Noel, Don Eastlake to Jill, phi to Rachel, Pat to Alan, Regis to Rachel, Bridget to Alex when she’s out of the room, Skip to Jill when he leaves, Noel to Jack after elections, Joel to Alex after elections

·         Corrections to the minutes

 Rick was the person who called the last meeting to order, and presided over it.   Please note that after “limit of debate to 30 seconds” was ruled out of order, the question on the floor was called immediately.

·         President’s Report

It’s hot and flat in Texas.

·         Vice President’s Report – no report

·         Treasurer’s Report

$20,400 current balance, reflecting paid rent and other bills but not registration info.

·         Clerk’s Report

Mentor was mailed with appropriate notice before this meeting.  I've picked up mail from the mailbox and expect to be doing so approximately every other week, please see me if you are looking for mail.

·         Arisia ’05 ConChair Report – not present

·         Arisia ’05 Treasurer Report – not present

·         Arisia ’06 ConChair Report

(The clerk publishes the ConChair’s report as sent to corporate list, minus inflammatory and rhetorical commentary from El Supremo.)

It is with great pleasure that I announce that Ben Levy has agreed to take the title of Assistant Chair in addition to Fixed Functions Division Head.  Ben has shown a tremendous dedication to Arisia and put in a lot of terrific work in many diverse areas of the convention, and this is as much a recognition of the increased level of responsibility he has already taken on as it is a promotion.  Ben joins Joelll Herda as Assistant Chair, and the three of us can be reached at

I am also pleased to announce that I have appointed September Isdell as Operations Division Head.  With this appointment, my direct report positions are now all staffed.

We had a very successful party at the NASFiC.  We sold enough memberships to make the party profitable, but more importantly we raised Arisia's profile substantially in the minds of several possible future GoHs, as well as among the general pro, artist, dealer, and BNF communities.

Mailings for the Art Show and Programming have gone out, and much data has been entered for Programming.  The $30 registration deadline has passed, and we have processed a flurry of online registrations, as well as nearly all of the year-ahead comps (I have about half a dozen left to enter).  The Mass Mailer is nearly ready to hand off to the printers and they should be done processing it by the end of the month.  Many areas are just ramping up, and there is plenty of work to do in the next few weeks.  The greatest current need for volunteers is at the staff/assistant level for food functions (con suite, staff den, etc), but there are plenty of other needs as well.

The next concom meetings are:

Monday, September 19 (the day after the corporate meeting), at 7pm in the Beacon Hill room at the Park Plaza hotel; and

Sunday, October 23, at 6pm in MIT building 66, room 168 or an adjacent room

·         Arisia ’06 Treasurer Report – not present

·         Long Range Planning

Bridget reports: We are buying a house. We are closing on the 14th. This has taken center stage. I am sorry for this delay. I do indeed have the data from Phi. It was received on Sept 15th. I have been in contact with Dr. William Latzko with regard to the data Phi sent me. [Alex’s father, a statistics professor, has kindly offered to help with the data analysis – Clerk]  As soon as it is in a useful format I will be calling a meeting of the Long Range Planning. Most likely this will be after the Jewish Holidays but before Thanksgiving.


Thank you for your patience in this matter.

·         CIC

Things are moving along.

·         Honors

No new correspondence.

·         Timeline

No new meetings have been held, but the information so far has been shared with division heads.

·         Hotel Search

No report

·         Technical Equipment – no report

·         Old business

MCFI / Deb sent Arisia a check for $1500 and Arisia has been offered another $3000 if there is a concrete proposal.  Move the clerk to thank Deb for $1500 donation and accept $3000 donation for replacement of art show and technical equipment as needed.  As Soon As Possible.  Passes by acclamation

Check from renting Fast Track equipment, $150 Applause to Persis.

·         Elections

President: Rick Kovalcik, Tom Murphy.  Rick elected 23-0

VP: Lisa Hertel, Tom Coveney.  Lisa elected 16-8

Treasurer:  Alex Latzko, Tom Murphy, Ben Levy.  After runoff election, Ben Levy elected 13-11

Clerk: Rachel Silber elected with 1 vote by acclamation

·          New business

Move to thank the outgoing members of the Eboard especially Carsten and Alex for their service to Arisia, both in the past and hopefully in the future.  Passed by acclamation.

Move to assign the books from 03 and 04 to the corporate treasurer to be closed in consultation with Alex Latzo by Dec 31st 2005.  Passes.

President directs Skip to report back to eboard about projectors w/in 7 days.

Move to set the default meeting time and place for the coming year to be third Sunday, MIT Bldg 66 rm 168 or nearby

·         Future meetings

Corp meeting Thurs Oct 20 Kovalcik-Mozzicato residence 7:30 pm

Corp meeting Nov 20 2pm at MIT, building 66, the usual place

Corp meeting Sun Dec 18th 2 pm Kovalcik-Mozzicato residence

Corp meeting Jan 15th @ con time TBD


September Eboard Meeting

Eboard meeting minutes for the meeting following the 9/18 corporate meeting, 4:30 pm

Jack Dietz proposed a relaxacon next summer (2006).  Before bringing it up at a corporate meeting, a post should go to the corporate list with a more detailed proposal so people can think about it in advance.  Discussion of pros and cons of various suburban hotels, but no conclusion at this point.  Important issues are con suite with corkage waiver, hot tub or at least a pool, proximity to good restaurants.

RK will be looking for Cris Shuldiner at tomorrow's concomm meeting, he has some questions about treasurer status.

Rachel is to check out where and when eboard can meet at a Bank of America branch to sign a new signature card (done).

Rachel is to mail to Cris to update the eboard list (done).

RK will call Carsten about mailbox keys and ask them to be mailed back. (moot – keys are now changed)

Rachel is authorized to spend up to $100 to change locks on mailbox and get new keys. (done)

Discussion of kid policy -- what happened with it?  Is it going to come to corp for review at the October meeting?  RK to discuss status with Persis, Bridget, Phi

A short discussion about whether the corporation needed an archivist position, if one should be created, whether and how that would overlap with the archivist on the convention staff list (to be replaced, we know).  Next step, RK will get input from Phi about the idea.


October 1 E-board Meeting

Called to order at approximately 11:10 at Aroma Café in North Reading.  Rick Kovalcik, Lisa Hertel, Ben Levy, Rachel Silber in attendance. 

Signature cards were signed for the new Bank of America account.

The creation of an archivist position for the corporation was discussed.  At the October meeting, we will bring before the corporation a motion to create a new committee, the Archives Committee, to deal with organizing and maintaining the physical and electronic historical records of the convention and the corporation.   If this motion passes, Rick will appoint a person (we expect just one for starters) to fill the position. 

Moved to authorize Rick to spend up to $200 to provide the archivist with an external hard drive, to be property of Arisia, to use for collecting and organizing our electronic records.  Passes unanimously.

Adjourned about 11:40 AM.

October 6 Telephone E-board Meeting

Approx 12:30 PM, Rick Kovalcik, Ben Levy, Rachel Silber.

Move to accept Bank of America’s standard banking procedures into our corporate policies.  (Affirming that we have done this is necessary to open the new checking account.  Bank boilerplate not included here, and is available from the treasurer if requested.)  Passes unanimously.  Lisa assents to the motion in a later email. 


Executive Board


Rick Kovalcik

19 Chesley Rd

Newton Centre MA 02459

Arisia 2006 Conchair

Nicholas Shectman

75 Lexington Ave

Somerville MA 02144

Vice President

Lisa Hertel

93 Greenwood Rd

Andover MA 01810

Arisia 2005/06 Treasurer

Cris Shuldiner

9 Jeremy Hill Rd

Pelham NH 03076


Ben Levy

47 Brown St

Andover MA 01810

Arisia 2007Conchair

Joel Herda

17 Heath St #3

Somerville MA 02145


Rachel Silber

59 Orient Ave

Melrose MA 02176

Arisia 2007 Treasurer




Membership/Subscription Information

Subscription to Mentor of Arisia is included with Corporate Membership to Arisia, Incorporated.  Membership runs from September 1st to August 31st and costs $24.  Dues are pro-rated on a monthly basis for members joining during the year.

































Membership Roster

Lisa Adler-Golden

Rob Bazemore (honorary)

Dave Belfer-Shevett

Bridget Boyle

Brian Cooper (honorary)

Tom Coveney

Jack Dietz

Regis Donovan

Don Eastlake

Jill Eastlake

Tom Fish (honorary)

Colette Fozard

Joel Herda

Brendan Hertel

Lisa Hertel

September Isdell

Jeanne Kahn

Walter Kahn

Allen Kent

Rick Kovalcik

Zanne Labonville

Alex Latzko

Michael Leuchtenburg

Ben Levy

Skip Morris

Susan Mozzicato

Tom Murphy

Karen Purcell

Mary Robison (honorary)

Noel Rosenberg

Paul Selkirk


Nicholas Shectman(“Phi”)

Cris Shuldiner (honorary)

Rachel Silber

Persis Thorndike

Carsten Turner

Pat Vandenberg



Storage Facility Key Holders


Joel Herda


Alex Latzko


Skip Morris


Carsten Turner


September Isdell




Michael Bergman


Lisa Hertel








(spare with Skip)


Persis Thorndike


Rick Kovalcik


Rachel Silber


Ben Levy


(spares with Rick)


ARISIA, Incorporated

Building 600, PMB 322

1 Kendall Square

Cambridge, MA 02139







































Calendar of Events

Thurs. October  20 7:30 PM @ Kovalcik-Mozzicato residence, 19 Chesley Rd, Newton Centre MA

Sun October 23 Arisia ConComm meeting 6 PM at MIT

Sun November 20 Arisia Corporate meeting 2 PM at MIT

Sun Dec 18th  Arisia  corporate meeting 2 pm Kovalcik-Mozzicato residence

Directions to October Corporate Meeting

Rick Kovalcik and Susan Mozzicato  19 Chesley Road, Newton Centre, MA   02459-1903

Directions are online at The “by car” section is reprinted here.  Please call if you have any questions. 1-617-244-4560 (home)  1-508-259-6819 (cell) et. al.


By car, take the Mass Pike to exit 17 (Newton Corner).  Follow signs to Newton Centre which will put you on Centre St.  (When coming off the Mass Pike heading east from route 128, stay to the right.  Centre St. will be the first street on the right.  When coming off the Pike heading west from Boston, go 3/4 of the way around the "circle" around the hotel over the Pike.)  Continue on Centre St. for 2 miles to  Newton Centre.  Immediately after the large parking lot on left, turn left onto Beacon St. 

*Go 2 blocks and turn left onto Chesley Rd. just after Murray's Liquors, Motophoto, and Cambridge Savings Bank on the left.  If you pass a Gulf Station, US Post Office, and West Coast Video on the right, you have gone too far.  Our house, a gray colonial with white and red trim, is the fourth house on the left.  You must park on the right hand side of the street facing in the direction of travel OR YOU MAY BE TICKETED.  Alternatively, you may park in the driveway to the right of the house as you are facing it.

Or, take Route 9 to Centre St.  Take Centre St. 1 mile to Newton Centre.  Immediately after yield / merge and before the large parking lot, turn right onto Beacon St.  Continue from "*" above